Quick! Look away from the political rants, articles, posts right now and read this. Maybe this list isn’t the same for you, but I’m sure you can make one of your own and we would find that we have more in common than we realize.
This, my friends, is a gratitude list. The first thing I started doing after a really difficult time in my life was a gratitude list. Gratitude lists are used in a variety of therapists offices, group therapy, and in Buddhist meditations. It has been proven to help reverse negative thinking and spark a more positive mindset. Let me tell you: it works.
So, let’s get to it.
- I am overwhelmingly thankful to have a home. There are so many people all over the world who don’t have homes. They sleep in the dirt, go to bed hungry, and fight for shelter. I am fortunate to never have to endure that kind of hardship.
- I am thankful for family. This one seems obvious, but it’s also one that not everyone has to be thankful for. My family is the most accepting, motivating, and silly family there is and they have raised me to be the absolute strongest woman possible. They have seen me at my worst, and loved me harder during those times. They stood by me during a difficult diagnosis a few years ago and reminded me that I am not defined by it. They have a love that is unwavering; that is something to be incredibly grateful for.
- I am so grateful for the sunshine. Living in California has spoiled me rotten in terms of how much sun we get. The sunshine makes my skin tan and my heart happy. These are both things that I love very much.
- Poetry. I am SO thankful for poetry. Whenever I feel scrambled up inside, I know that if I write a poem, my mind will untie itself and reveal the core of what I’m feeling. Poetry turns something complicated and makes it into something artistic and beautiful.
- I am VERY happy that dogs exist. What would I even do with myself if I didn’t wake up with dirty socks all around me and a squeaky toy on my forehead each morning? What is life if dogs aren’t a part of it? My little sock-stealing-snuggle-bug of a dog makes life so much better.
- My sweet, sweet boyfriend. I know you guys are ALL a little queasy from how much I gush over my boyfriend, Danny, but sorry guys. I’m really damn thankful for him. He accepts me for all that I am: my illness, my bad days, my good days, the fact that I’m awkward as hell. He is my support system, my personal entertainment, and my favorite human ever.
- My friends! YESSSS, I have the best friends ever. It’s true. When everything seems like it’s upside down, they remind me of what’s real and what’s right. They are some of the strongest, most hilarious, and loving people and I am beyond lucky to know them. Plus, they don’t mind wandering around Target aimlessly for hours looking for things we “need”.
- Ummm cheese sauce? Yeah, I said it. Cheese sauce. I love cheese in any liquid form. I love dipping burritos into nacho cheese, I love queso dip, I love melted brie. I mean, should I really be eating it? God, no. But is it basically heaven in liquid form? ALL of the yesses. Don’t judge me for this one. It belongs on my gratitude list, because I am thankful AF that it exists.
- Coffee. Because a caffeinated Analise is a happy Analise. Enough said. Thank you, coffee gods for providing me with a good mood for years now.
- You. This is probably cliche to say, but if you’re reading this, I’m thankful for you. You took the time out of your day to read my little blog and that makes me stupendously happy. If we aren’t friends, we probably should be. Just sayin’.
I could go on forever on this list. I challenge you to write a gratitude list, especially with the really heartbreaking events that are happening in the world and our country right now. You’ll feel better and it will shift your perspective greatly. I hope my little list made you think of a few things in your life that you are lucky to have.